Feedback and complaints about the Scottish Health Council

The Scottish Health Council strives to provide a fair and helpful service for all. However, we acknowledge that there are occasions when you may wish to make a complaint or give us feedback about:

  • the services we provide and the reports we produce
  • your experience of working with us, or
  • the attitude or behaviour of our staff.

You can give feedback using the details on the Contact Us page of this website.

The Scottish Health Council is part of Link opens in new windowHealthcare Improvement Scotland. You can download the leaflet Making a complaint about Healthcare Improvement ScotlandPDF document, which will give you more detailed information about making a complaint about our organisation.

How to complain

If you can, first talk to a member of staff involved in the issue that you are concerned about. This is the quickest way to sort out the problem.

If this does not work or is not possible, you should contact the nominated Complaints Officer. You can complain by sending a letter or email, phoning or visiting the Healthcare Improvement Scotland office. (If you are visiting the office, please phone ahead to ensure that someone is available to see you.)

Jane Illingworth
Policy and Governance Manager
Healthcare Improvement Scotland
Gyle Square
1 South Gyle Crescent
EH12 9EB

Telephone: 0131 623 4300 (reception)

We will acknowledge all complaints received in writing within three working days. If we need to investigate your complaint we will tell you what we have found by writing to you within 20 working days. If we can't provide you with a full response within that time we will tell you why and when you can expect to hear from us.

More information

We have prepared two documents which will give you more detailed information:

Help with making your complaint

The Citizens Advice Bureau runs a Link opens in new windowPatient Advice and Support Service (PASS) which can give you impartial help with making a complaint. This is a free service and available at a Citizens Advice Bureau near you.

Taking it further

The Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) provides an independent and free service to help people who are still having problems after they have made a complaint about a public service. The Ombudsman cannot help you make a complaint. However, they can help if:

  • you are finding it difficult to get an answer to your complaint, or
  • you are unhappy with the results of a complaint you have made about our organisation.

The Scottish Public Services Ombudsman
Freepost EH641

Telephone: 0800 377 7330
Text message: 07900 494 371
Website: Link opens in new